Monday, August 15, 2011

History Education Does Not Have to be Dull...

As summer winds down and a new school year is set to begin I was reminded that some still seem intent on making history as dull a subject as possible. Why? Is it burnout? Has the teaching of history lost its luster to some?

“I have come to a frightening conclusion,” wrote Haim Ginott in Between Teacher and Child. “I am the decisive element in the classroom. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher I possess tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations it is my response that decides whether crisis will be escalated or de-escalated, and a child humanized or dehumanized.”

Something to think about...

Jeffrey Bingham Mead, Director and Co-Founder
History Education Hawaii, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment